The Commercial Façade Improvement Program provides funding to commercial and private property owners to redesign, renovate or restore commercial or industrial building façades. The eligible improvements include, but are not limited to, brick cleaning, restoration, wheelchair accessibility, doors, signage, windows, lighting and masonry.
What are the benefits?
Improving the appearance of your building’s façade shows that you care about your property. In addition, your neighborhood streetscape is improved. This provides a more welcoming environment to work, shop and live.
How is funding calculated?
Half of the cost of eligible improvements to commercial or industrial building façades is covered and will be based on the lowest contractor estimate submitted with the application. The minimum funding is $2,500 with a maximum of $10,000 for non-corner properties. A corner property is eligible for maximum funding of $12,500.
Who is eligible?
- You must be the property owner or have the permission of the property owner
- Your building must be located in a Business Improvement Area (BIA) that has been in existence for five (5) or more years
- You must not owe outstanding taxes to the City
- You must not start your improvement project before the funding application is approved
- You must have not received the maximum façade improvement funding for your property in previous years.
How do I apply?
- Applicant contacts the City’s BIA Office to determine eligibility
E-mail: [email protected]
- Applicant completes application form
- City reviews the application. Funding review committees are composed of local architects, business owners, historical experts and other community representatives and make recommendations to City Council
- City approves or declines the application
- City issues funding cheques to successful applicants upon completion of the agreed-upon work.
For more info click here or contact our office for further assistance.