Position: Planning Coordinator, Parkdale Village Business Improvement Area (PVBIA)
Employment Terms: 30 hours weekly at $11.40/hour for 7 weeks (This Canada Summer Jobs position is a Government of Canada initiative; to be eligible Student applicants must meet ALL criteria)
The Parkdale Village Business Improvement Area (BIA) represents over 300 businesses and property owners in Parkdale Village along Queen Street West from Dufferin Street to Roncesvalles Avenue, providing diverse retail shopping opportunities and excellent entertainment venues. Our dining establishments reflect the character of Toronto, in that you can find food from every corner of the planet here: from Tibet to the Caribbean to Vietnam to Indian and more. We have a thriving vintage and antique shopping district in our west end that anchors our sense of history, and there are several galleries in Parkdale that display the amazing talents of the many artists who live in the neighbourhood.
Overview of Position:
The Planning Coordinator position will assist primarily with preparing Strategic Planning activities in addition to supporting other initiatives as needed, such as maintaining databases and inventory for streetscape & capital design programs, some administrative duties and some event support.
This position reports to the PVBIA Executive Director and works closely with the Assistant Coordinator, PVBIA Board, Members, third parties, external suppliers, community leaders, residents and volunteers.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supporting strategic planning activities including scheduling member interviews, surveying members, data collection and analysis, research, etc.
- Maintaining documents such as databases, inventory mapping, critical paths, event briefs.
- Conducting research and assisting with the ongoing management of streetscape and capital design projects.
- Administrative support including but not limited to filing, fielding calls, general inquiries.
- Contributing to the coordination of other areas and initiatives as directed.
- Fielding and fulfilling inquiries and/or requests from PVBIA members.
- Supporting marketing and event coordination as required.
Experience and Competencies Required:
- Post-Secondary (Community College, CEGEP, Technical Institute, University)
- Strong customer service with superior interpersonal oral and written communication skills.
- General understanding, interest and experience in urban planning, economic development or relevant disciplines and administrative processes involved as well as some marketing interest an asset.
- Interest in community and local-level planning, and non-profit organizations.
- Ability to communicate effectively and build relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders, including staff, volunteers, community groups, sponsors and members.
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Outstanding organizational and planning skills with strong attention to detail
- Proven ability to balance multiple assignments and tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to work flexible hours as needed (particularly some evenings or weekends if required for surveying/interviewing members).
- Ability to arrange your own travel and be able to spend extended periods standing and walking along Queen Street West to visit all BIA members.
- May be required to lift up to 20 pounds
- Experience supporting community level coordination of projects or events.
- Experience with surveying.
- Experience with customer service.
- Experience working with or volunteering for another BIA.
- Knowledge of Parkdale Village community and businesses.
This position is funded by Canada Summer Jobs; to be eligible Student applicants must meet ALL criteria;
- be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
- have been registered as full-time students in the previous academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year;
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act2; and,
- be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
- Deadline for submissions: June 23rd 5:00pm
- Send your cover letter & resume to [email protected] with ‘Planning Coordinator” in the subject line.
The PVBIA is committed to providing equitable access to opportunities and experiences to people facing economic disadvantage, discrimination and/or barriers to equal opportunity including those from equity-seeking communities protected by human rights legislation. These communities include, but are not limited to: Aboriginal communities, racial minorities, persons living with disabilities, women, newcomers, youth, LGBTQ2S+, and vulnerable populations including people who are homeless or under-housed, and persons living with mental health challenges. In doing so the PVBIA aims to achieve positive outcomes and experiences for people disproportionately affected by poverty and discrimination.