The Parkdale Village BIA is looking for volunteers to lend a friendly hand during our outdoor Festival on Saturday May 12th, 2018 – in Parkdale!
If you love Parkdale, are friendly and excited to support the community and local businesses, please fill out our Volunteers Application Form and email it to [email protected] along with your resume and list any relevant past volunteer experience.
Up to 30 Volunteer positions and a few paid positions are available for a series of three (3) to six (6+) hour shifts, scheduled between 8:00am & 11:00pm.
Duties may include:
- Night Market support
- Photo Booth Assistant
- Sound Equipment Support
- Booth set up and tear down (must be able to lift 40 pounds)
- Helium Tank/Balloon Operator
- Cotton Candy Operator
- Craft Workshops
- Face Painting
- Cleanup/hospitality crew
- Survey Outreach
Volunteers/Staff may be required to participate in an orientation session.
Spring into Parkdale Sidewalk Festival
The Parkdale Village Business Improvement Area (PVBIA) invites you to Spring into Parkdale Sidewalk Festival on Saturday May 12th, 2018!
Time to shake off those winter blues and visit Parkdale Village’s Queen Street West this spring for a weekend filled with sidewalk sale deals and free fun for the family.
Come out and meet shop owners, crafters, artists and community groups that make up our thriving neighbourhood! Throughout the day enjoy some special attractions such as live performances, free craft workshops, Markets and surprise giveaways!
Position: Planning Coordinator, Parkdale Village Business Improvement Area (PVBIA)
Employment Terms: Part-time or Full-time
The Parkdale Village Business Improvement Area (BIA) represents over 350 businesses, organizations and commercial property owners in Parkdale Village along Queen Street West from Dufferin Street to Roncesvalles Avenue, providing diverse retail shopping opportunities and excellent entertainment venues. Our dining establishments reflect the character of Toronto, in that you can find food from every corner of the planet here: from Tibet to the Caribbean to Vietnam to Indian and more. We have a thriving vintage and antique shopping district in our west end that anchors our sense of history, and there are several galleries in Parkdale that display the amazing talents of the many artists who live in the neighbourhood.
Overview of Position:
The Planning Coordinator position will assist primarily with the execution of streetscape projects, all related administrative duties and some marketing support as needed. This position reports to the PVBIA Executive Director and works closely with the PVBIA Board, Members, third parties, external suppliers, community leaders, residents and volunteers.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conducting streetscape audits; collecting, tracking & recording data
- Maintaining documents such as reports, maps, inventories & databases (Excel, CRM)
- Assisting with processing permit applications and service requests to the City of Toronto.
- Conducting research and assisting with the development of new streetscape and capital design projects
- Attending community meetings, consultations and stakeholder workshops as needed
- Fielding and fulfilling inquiries and/or requests from PVBIA members
- Administrative support including, but not limited to filing, fielding calls, research, sourcing, customer service, general inquiries, etc.
- Supporting meetings, marketing and event coordination
- Staying current on new developments in the community
Experience and Competencies Required:
- Relevant Post-Secondary Degree or equivalent experience.
- General understanding, interest and experience in urban planning, economic development or relevant disciplines, administrative processes involved, as well as some marketing interest an asset.
- Interest in community and local-level planning, and non-profit organizations.
- Ability to communicate effectively and build relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders, including city staff, volunteers, community groups and members.
- Strong personal initiative combined with superior interpersonal oral and written communication skills.
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), and Outlook
- Proficiency and interest in graphic design using Adobe (Illustrator) or similar software
- Outstanding organizational and planning skills with strong attention to detail
- Proven ability to balance multiple assignments and tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to work flexible hours as needed (particularly evenings and at event time).
- Experience supporting events.
- Experience with grant writing.
- Experience working with or volunteering for another BIA.
- Knowledge of Parkdale Village community and businesses.
- Proficiency or familiarity with GIS/mapping software
- Valid Driver’s licence.
- Personal Laptop
Deadline for applications is Open till filled. Interested candidates should submit the following via email [email protected]:
- Resume highlighting projects you have worked on
- Cover letter outlining how you meet the requirements of the job, listing two (2) references and three (3) things you enjoy about Parkdale Village
The PVBIA is committed to providing equitable access to opportunities and experiences to people facing economic disadvantage, discrimination and/or barriers to equal opportunity including those from equity-seeking communities protected by human rights legislation. These communities include, but are not limited to: Aboriginal communities, racial minorities, persons living with disabilities, women, newcomers, youth, LGBTQ2S+, and vulnerable populations including people who are homeless or under-housed, and persons living with mental health challenges. In doing so the PVBIA aims to achieve positive outcomes and experiences for people disproportionately affected by poverty and discrimination.
The PAVBIA is excited to share that planning has kicked off for the 6th Annual Spring into Parkdale Sidewalk Festival & Night Market on Saturday May 12th with some amazing additions in the works for 2018.
Featuring a sidewalk sale with over 100 vendors, live entertainment and FREE family-friendly activities. Take part in the 1.4km sidewalk sale, and visit one of 4 markets including the 10,000 sqft outdoor Night Market showcasing Parkdale’s eclectic food and chefs, and a 10,000 sqft Kids Zone!
If you would like to explore ways to participate as a Sponsor, Food Vendor, Entertainer etc. within one of our Pop Up Markets & Festival, please visit the Festival page for more info.