There’s no shortage of history at 1313 Queen Street West at Cowan Avenue, currently the home of the Parkdale Village Business Improvement Area and other community groups.The corner lot, including Masaryk-Cowan Community Centre has evolved from the areas Fire Hall and Police Station to a community based centre. The original building at 1313 Queen St W was demolished in 1931 to make room for a more modern police station, which still stands today. The buildings more recent development wouldn’t have been possible without the support of Artscape, which opened the space as the Parkdale Arts & Cultural Centre in 1998 and is now home to the BIA as well as groups such as Gallery 1313 and Kababayan Community Centre. Thanks to Artscape for helping us to retain and celebrate Parkdale’s diverse culture. To read more, click here.
To read more about Parkdale Village History, click here.
Photos: City of Toronto Archives, Toronto Public Library Archives