Manager, Parkdale Village Business Improvement Area
The Manager is responsible for helping to update and successfully execute the Parkdale Village Business Improvement Area (PVBIA) Workplan. This position plays a critical role in maintaining day-to-day marketing, streetscape, and administrative activities of the PVBIA, in driving community initiatives, and economic development improvements, execution of programs, project management, customer service, member services, supporting local events, communications, and stakeholder relations, all in support of the PVBIA Board of Management.
The individual must be a solutions-oriented self-starter and possess strong organizational skills to ensure that priorities are assigned to projects and activities.
The PVBIA Managers’ responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Implement programs and policies as approved by the Board and the City, and as mandated by the Workplan;
- Financial management of the PVBIA office and programs;
- Advocating for small businesses, property owners, and organizations within Parkdale Village;
- Establish, encourage and maintain positive, constructive, and proactive relationships with the PVBIA members as well as non-members; and
- All administrative functions of the PVBIA.
Duties of the PVBIA Manager include the following:
Manage/support governance of the PVBIA
- Organize monthly meetings, Annual General Meeting (AGM), prepare agendas, distribute minutes, follow up on tasks as required;
- Work with board and committees to develop and execute budgets and adjust workplan as needed;
- Manage department and project budgets, work with accounting to maintain regular financial systems and reports, support with reporting financials to the board;
- Representing the Board in industry and community meetings, and participating in community consultations, steering committees and local projects as an active stakeholder;
- Liaise with City departments such as: Economic Development Culture and Tourism Department, Urban Forestry, Parks and Recreation, Transportation and other departmental staff as appropriate; and
- Ensure City and PVBIA bylaws, policies and mandates are followed.
Marketing & Communications
- Engage in regular membership and community outreach relevant to the workplan;
- Draft materials and work with production teams to produce outreach materials (welcome packages, posters, billboards, notices etc.);
- Manage and distribute communication and campaigns through all marketing channels (website, newsletters, instagram, facebook, twitter, outdoor media, radio, print advertising, etc.);
- Manage ‘Community Events Grant’ applications, awarding of funds and execution of support, and providing any guidance on event management and permits;
- Work with local and international media outlets, influencers, bloggers, and publications in featuring Parkdale Village, its members, and local groups, and act as a liaison for any media inquiries directed to the PVBIA office;
- Explore new initiatives that help promote the PVBIA;
- Liaise with City of Toronto to ensure all proper permits have been submitted and event guidelines are being followed where applicable (sidewalk sale permit, CafeTO permits etc.);
- Engage local groups and BIA members to participate in the various events and marketing opportunities within and around the community, and act as a connector and facilitator for requests for support; and
- Maintain active membership databases (CRM, excel).
- Maintain and implement all streetscape, beautification, and enhancement programs as directed by the workplan;
- Prepare and administer necessary documentation in accordance with the City’s Capital Cost Sharing Program and CafeTO program;
- Obtain “sign-off” on all relevant documents as required by the City and the PVBIA;
- Relay project status to the Board and organize stakeholder meetings where appropriate; and
- Prepare and recommend workplan adjustments and actions on issues affecting the PVBIA, cancellations and project timelines.
Safety and Crime Prevention
- Explore new initiatives that help support the workplans focus on community safety;
- Liaise with community groups regarding local programs and support for vulnerable populations; and
- Share local resources available to members that focus on harm reduction, de-escalation training, needle disposal boxes, storefront security assessment, and crime prevention materials.
Maintenance and Repairs
- Maintain and monitor all PVBIA-owned infrastructure such as planters, gardens, hanging baskets, banners, and pedestrian lights;
- Manage all vendor relations related to streetscape projects such as graffiti removal, garden maintenance, floral installations and removals, banner installations, planter repairs, and street cleaning; and
- Monitor public works and related activities [sidewalk repair, garbage receptacle replacement, garbage collection, hydro infrastructure projects, KQQR, and other physical repairs/improvements in the PVBIA.
- University degree or College Training in one or more of the following: Commerce, Urban Planning, Business, Marketing, Government Relations, or experience in similar fields.
- Management experience either in an applicable business field, non-profit or municipal-focused organization
- Experience working within a Business Improvement Area
- Experience dealing with municipal government
- Professional experience working with small businesses
- Experience with budgeting and financial reporting
- Professional experience in digital and/or traditional marketing
- Experience in social media marketing and communications
- Experience managing vendor relations
- Self-starter able to work independently with minimal supervision
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Strong communication, administration, organizational, and time management skills
- Proficient in WordPress, Survey Monkey, Mailchimp, CRM, Word, Excel, Adobe, PowerPoint etc.)
- Full Time Salary: 35-40 hours per week
- $55,000- $65,000 commensurate on experience
- Phone & parking allowance
- Health plan
- Flexible work environment
Application Open till Position is filled
Submit Cover letter and resume to:
Parkdale Village Business Improvement Area
1313 Queen Street West
Toronto, ON. M6K 1L8
The PVBIA is committed to providing equitable access to opportunities and experiences to people facing economic disadvantage, discrimination and/or barriers to equal opportunity including those from equity-seeking communities protected by human rights legislation. These communities include, but are not limited to: Aboriginal communities, racial minorities, persons living with disabilities, women, newcomers, youth, LGBTQ2S+, and vulnerable populations including people who are homeless or under-housed, and persons living with mental health challenges. In doing so the PVBIA aims to achieve positive outcomes and experiences for people disproportionately affected by poverty and discrimination.